Report: Mobile Purchases Surpass 50% of Online Retail Sales in U.K.

Feb. 29, 2016

Report: Mobile Purchases Surpass 50% of Online Retail Sales in U.K.ales in U.K. Tablets and smartphones accounted for more than half of U.K. retail online sales in the fourth quarter of 2015 according to a report by consultancy Capgemini for IMRG, a U.K.-based trade association for online retailers. The report found online sales conducted from laptops and desktops accounted for 49 percent of online retail sales in Q4, while 33 percent of sales came on tablets and 18 percent on smartphones. The combined 51 percent of sales originating on mobile devices during that time period was up from 45 percent in Q3 of 2015 and up from 40 percent on a year-over-year basis.

"This is a very significant milestone in the history of the online retail sector and reflects the work retailers have put into improving the customer experience on smartphones," said Richard Tremellen, retail insight and data specialist for Capgemini. "Not only have mobile platforms become more secure, but the payment process is also much slicker. The result is smartphone conversion rates that are 70-to-80 percent higher than this time last year."

The increase in conversion, according to IMRG’s Chief Information Officer Tina Spooner, can be attributed to larger smartphone screens and attention to the user experience on those devices. Online sales on smartphones are growing seven times faster than tablets, she said.