Report: M-Commerce Accounts for Half of U.K. Online Transactions

May 16, 2016

Report: M-Commerce Accounts for Half of U.K. Online Transactions Around the world, data indicate that mobile online payments are accounting for an increasing share of e-commerce. In the U.K., according to a recent report, very nearly half (48.9 percent) of all e-commerce transactions originate on a mobile device, up 6 percent from a year ago. French digital marketing firm Criteo studied 1.4 billion online transactions originating in Britain. Of those mobile transactions, 65 percent were driven by in-app purchases while the remaining 35 percent originated via a mobile Website.

“It’s clear the retail industry is undergoing an unprecedented wave of disruption and innovation” said Eden Zoller, principle analyst for London-based consultancy Ovum, one of the report’s authors. “Changing consumer behavior along with key technology developments such as AR and AI are having a profound influence on retail dynamics. As retail becomes ever more mobile-centric, the range and depth of customer data insights will continue to grow, enabling a richer, contextual view of consumers that will provide retailers with new business models and ways to engage.”