August 24, 2016
Report: Indian E-Commerce to Double in Two Years
July 8, 2013
The e-commerce industry in India will be worth $100 billion by 2015, according to a new report from the Economist Intelligence Unit. The EIU looked at e-commerce all around Asia, but highlighted the opportunity for growth in India.
“In India, where only 10 percent of the population is online, 1.6 percent of GDP is attributed to the rise of the Internet,” the report said. “This is expected to double by 2015 to be worth $100 billion—the same size as the nation’s healthcare industry today.”
A key factor that will drive the Internet economy in India, the report said, is digital and mobile advertising. Currently, advertising revenue in India is at 7 percent, but out of the $410 million being spent online, 60 percent goes to Google and Facebook, with the remaining 40 percent spread among the rest of the ecosystem.